Friday, October 7, 2022

Dinky Episode 8: Voting on Contract



STEPHEN FALA: I’m Stephen Fala, and you’re listening to Pipe and Drape, the only podcast that spotlights the creative minds behind the theatre for young audiences industry.


[The Dinky Pipe and Drape theme plays.] 


In this dinky episode I’m briefly sharing my experience as a frequent absentee voter. Thank you for listening today.


If you’re listening to this episode at the time of its release (October 2022), the United States is a month out from midterm elections. I have voted early or absentee for most of my adult life because I am usually away during election months. Voting absentee while hopping from place to place takes some coordination, but it is absolutely possible. I’m registered to vote in Pennsylvania, so when I am on contract I head to vote.pa.gov and request an absentee ballot to be sent to my company housing weeks before it's due back home. If I am touring my housing is constantly changing, so I plan to have my ballot sent to a hotel that is weeks to months away on my itinerary.


Hotels will usually hold mail for booked guests for a few weeks. The first time I had mail sent to a hotel I called that front desk to insure my ballot’s arrival and safety and I was very very stressed–but everything was fine. Once I arrive at my hotel to meet my ballot I have a little party with myself where I research the candidates running in the upcoming election and any policies that are up for a vote I fill out my ballot and mail it back to Delaware County, Pennsylvania. 


I’ve met so many actors who make excuses for why they don’t vote while on contract. “What if my ballot gets lost?” Maybe it will! But each state has a contingency for this. In Pennsylvania you are able to track and cancel your ballot for whatever reason. “I don’t know who’s running.” If you’re taking the time to do naked pictures in your hotel bathroom mirrors you can also use your phone to look up who is on your ballot. I’ve seen artists yell on the internet about policy change and then chose to not vote in midterm and primary elections which makes no sense for so many reasons. First of all, they’re stirring the pot without adding any ingredients, and secondly, professional theatre makers are in the business of making change. Art can inspire action one piece at a time. So why wouldn’t artists put in the extra effort to vote whenever they can? Choosing the next president is just a portion of one’s responsibility as a voter. Local elections have a huge impact on the way our education system works (hello school board/funding for the arts) and the building blocks for our ever-changing laws and policies. It’s the groundwork we get to lay for the future of our nation. It’s the small steps that create a massive impact on our future. Those sentences can be applied to the work being done in theatre for young audiences. I’ve included links to information about absentee voting deadlines and voter registration in the notes for this episode.


[Pipe and Drape theme plays.]


You can join the conversation about theatre for young audiences and find more Pipe and Drape content including photos, quotes, and TYA news on Instagram @PipeAndDrapeStories. And please be sure to rate and review Pipe and Drape wherever you listen to podcasts! Each star given or review submitted helps future listeners to find the show. Be sure to tune in every other Tuesday to hear theatre for young audiences creatives share their pipe and drape stories. Pipe and Drape is created and hosted by Stephen Fala and distributed by Anchor. The Pipe and Drape logo was created by Stephen Gordon and music was composed by Stephen Fala. Thank you for listening today. 


No election is too small!
ABSENTEE BALLOT DEADLINES: https://www.vote.org/absentee-ballot-deadlines/
VOTER REGISTRATION/STATUS CHECK: https://vote.gov


Connect with Pipe and Drape:

INSTAGRAM: @PipeAndDrapeStories

EMAIL: PipeAndDrapeStories@gmail.com

Host: Stephen Fala

Artwork: Stephen Gordon

No comments:

Post a Comment